Breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures. The stigma associated with the procedure has long been diminished and there is a multitude of reasons why people choose to undergo breast augmentation. In this article, Dr. Faisal, one of Dubai’s best plastic surgeons who has a special interest in breast augmentation, discusses the reasons why patients may undergo the procedure
- Small breasts. Patients who have always had small breasts are the biggest group of patients. They have a desire to feel more feminine and the lack of breast tissue has a negative effect on their self esteem and self confidence
- Post Pregnancy. This group of patients desire a restoration of breast volume following childbirth. The hormonal changes during and after pregnancy can have a detrimental effect on breast tissue. This often result in saggy breasts with droop and reduction of glandular tissue. Breast feeding can also negatively impact the shape of breasts. These patients need to be carefully assessed because some may require a lift with their breast augmentation
- Replacement of old implants due to capsular contracture- Breasts implants do require replacement after a certain period of time. This is typically 15 years, but can sometimes be less or more. Replacement is required because scar tissue forms around the implant. This is called a capsule, and in most patients is not a problem. However, it can become thicker in certain patients, causing the breasts to become more palpable, deformed and in extreme cases painful.
- Replacement of old implants due to size- A very common reason for breast implant replacement is to change their size. Some patients grow tired of having larger implants and require a downsize. This is typically performed with a lift. The other group of patients require an increase in the size of their breast implants
- Improve the shape or symmetry of breasts due to problem from birth. Unfortunately, patients can be born with asymmetry of their breasts or have breasts which are an unusual shape. Breast implants provide an excellent way of rectifying these problems. These problems often require a lift procedure and may need fat grafting to help achieve the shape and size required